If you haven’t been terrorized by Jurrasic Park in your life, you are missing out. Whether it was from the original books, the subsequent movies, or the video games (Operation Genesis anyone?) people all over the world have had the iconic experience of dinosaurs run amok on Isla Nublar. And now fans can relive that experience in 3D. According to Universal Pictures, Jurassic Park will be returning to the theaters with a full 3D conversion on July 19, 2013.
In case you were wondering why they are releasing it more than a year from now, next summer will mark the 20th anniversary of director, Steven Spielberg’s adaptation of the novel .
The original novel was published in 1990 by author Michael Crichton. It was adapted by Spielberg a short three years later in 1993. The film won 3 Oscars as well as 19 other awards and 15 nominations. A sequel of the novel was published in 1995, called The Lost World. Which only two years later was also adapted into a film by Spielberg in 1997. Although it must be noted that the third film in the series, directed by Joe Johnston did not relate to either book.
A fourth installment is currently in the works, and is due to be released in 2013.
Before the original novel was published, there were many bids already on it for the picture rights. Universal Studios acquired the rights before the novels publication in 1990.
The cast of the original film include:
- Sam Neill as Dr. Alan Grant, a leading paleontologist and main protagonist.
- Laura Dern as Dr. Ellie Sattler, a paleobotanist graduate student and love interest of Dr. Grant
- Jeff Goldblum as Dr. Ian Malcolm, a mathematician and chaos theorist.
- Richard Attenborough as John Hammond, billionaire CEO of InGen and the curator of Jurassic Park.
- Bob Peck as Robert Muldoon, the park’s game warden.
- Ariana Richards as Lex Murphy, Hammond’s granddaughter.
- Joseph Mazzello as Tim Murphy, Hammond’s grandson.
- Wayne Knight as Dennis Nedry, the disgruntled architect of Jurassic Park’s computer systems.
- Martin Ferrero as Donald Gennaro, a lawyer who represents Hammond’s concerned investors.
- Samuel L. Jackson as Ray Arnold, the park’s chief engineer.
- B. D. Wong as Dr. Henry Wu, the park’s chief geneticist.
- Cameron Thor as Lewis Dodgson, the head of InGen’s rival corporation BioSyn.
- Greg Burson as the voice of Mr. DNA
The cautionary tale of a film, struck a cord with fans all over the world. The cost of biological tinkering and mass chaos theory were being thrust into the face of society. The film was a huge hit, and I am pretty sure it’s 3D version will be a huge summer blockbuster as well. I mean I can guess only a few people will not want to see this film.
But don’t get to excited, July 19, 2013, is a long way away and you might just make that wait even longer. Trust me.
Always remember, Life will find a way.