We still have a while to wait till the new season of HBO’s hit show, “Game of Thrones” returns but we at least have the joy of new casting news. HBO has announced and confirmed that English rapper Ed Skrein and UK actor Jacob Anderson have been cast as Daario Naharis and Grey Worm, respectively in the upcoming third season.
This casting announcement follows last weeks news that Rome star Ciarán Hinds was cast as self-proclaimed “King-Beyond-the-Wall” Mance Rayder.
Daario Neharis is a confident and seductive warrior and the captain of the Stormcrows a groups of mercenaries who will help Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke) sail into Westeros. The role of Daario Naharis will mark the relative newcomer Skrein’s North American television debut – after the former teenage gang member became a popular UK rapper following his near stabbing death at age seventeen.
Grey Worm is the leader of the eunuch slave soldiers known as the Unsullied. Anderson may not be that well-known on this side of the pond, but the young actor from London has already appeared in numerous popular English films and TV shows such as Adulthood, Episodes, and Skins.
Like the show’s second season, season 3 will see an large influx of new characters.
- Diana Rigg (Emma Peel in The Avengers) will play Olenna Redwyne Tyrell A.K.A the “Queen of Thorns,” Margaery and Loras Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother. Rigg will also appear in the upcoming seventh season of Doctor Who with her daughter Rachael Stirling.
- Clive Russell (Sherlock Holmes) has been cast as Ser Brynden “The Blackfish” Tully – the beloved uncle of Catelyn Stark.
- Tobias Menzies (Rome) as Edmure Tully, Catelyn Stark’s brother.
- Richard Dormer (Casualty) as Beric Dondarrion, the leader of the “Brotherhood Without Banners.”
- Thomas Sangster (Phineas and Ferb) and Ellie Kendrick (Being Human UK) will play Jojen Reed and Meera Reed, two young Crannogman siblings and children of Howland Reed, a Stark bannerman.
- Tara Fitzgerald (Waking the Dead) cast as Selyse Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon’s wife (the character, played by an unnamed extra in one episode last season).
- Kerry Ingram as Shireen Baratheon, Stannis’ young daughter.
- Paul Kaye (Being Human UK) will play Thoros of Myr, a red priest who follows the same religion as Melisandre.
- Mackenzie Crook (The Office UK, Pirates of the Caribbean) will play Orell the skinchanger, a fearsome Wildling.
Production of the third season began last month on location in Belfast, Northern Ireland, and will feature the new filming locations Croatia and Morocco.
The upcoming third season of HBO’s Game of Thrones will return April 2013.