Screenwriter Vanessa Taylor, who will be working on the upcoming third season of HBO’s “Game of Thrones” spoke a bit about what fans can expect from the new season.
Season 3, based on the first half of A Storm of Swords features lots of new cast members as well as new settings for several of the characters.
Taylor explained what she’s learning from head writers D.B Weiss and David Benioff on the show and what the third season will be like.
I’ve actually been learning a particular lesson this season. My bosses [Weiss and Benioff] seem to be becoming more visual storytellers. All of the episodes of the third season seem to open with a particularly cinematic opening. And they’re less about clever dialogue and transition and more about these huge cinematic… just the visuals of it all. And so I’m really learning a different way of writing from that. Because I think it’s quite subtle and I feel like, by contrast, the writing of the second season was a bit more conventional.
New cast members are a huge part of season 3, and include:
- Kristofer Hivju as Tormund Giantsbane, a Wildling raider
- Thomas Sangster as Jojen Reed and Ellie Kendrick as Meera Reed, two young Crannogman siblings, children of Howland Reed, a Stark bannerman
- Tobias Menzies as Edmure Tully, Catelyn Stark’s brother
- Clive Russell as Brynden Tully, the “Blackfish”, Catelyn’s uncle\
- Tara Fitzgerald as Selyse (Florent) Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon’s wife
- Kerry Ingram as Shireen Baratheon, their daughter
- Diana Rigg as Olenna (Redwyne) Tyrell, the “Queen of Thorns”, Margaery and Loras Tyrell’s grandmother
- Richard Dormer as Beric Dondarrion, the leader of the “Brotherhood Without Banners”
- Paul Kaye as Thoros of Myr, a red priest with the Brotherhood
- Philip McGinley as Anguy, an archer with the Brotherhood
- Mackenzie Crook as Orell the skinchanger, a Wildling
- Nathalie Emmanuel as Missandei, a Naathi servant of Daenerys Targaryen
- Anton Lesser as Qyburn, a former maester of the Citadel
- Iwan Rheon as the character “Boy”
- Ciarán Hinds as Mance Rayder, the Wildling “King-Beyond-The-Wall”.
- Ed Skrein as Daario Naharis, a Tyroshi mercenary captain
- Jacob Anderson as Grey Worm, a eunuch soldier captain
- Dan Hildebrand as Kraznys mo Naklaz, a wealthy slaver of the Ghiscari city of Astapor.
- Ramon Tikaram as Prendahl ze Ghezn, a captain of a notorious company of sellswords
Other new characters will include Vargo Hoat, the leader of the mercenary group “Bloody Mummers”
Season 3 of “Game of Thrones” will premiere March 31, 2013.