While it seems like every new season (and every new book for that matter) of “Game of Thrones” sees dozens and dozens of new characters added, next year’s season 5 will get a whole new region , along with its inhabitants, added to the cast.
Warning: there are some various potential spoilers for non-book readers below.
According to WinterisComing.net (and leaks from their undisclosed source), we know that the following characters from the books are currently looking for casting.
Prince Doran Martell
- Doran is described as the major new player this year, appearing in multiple episodes. The fiftysomething prince uses a wheelchair, is reclusive and rules wisely. It appears the show is looking to continue the trend it started with Pedro Pascal, and cast Latino actors for the Martell clan.
Prince Trystane Martell
- Trystane, the handsome fiance of Princess Myrcella, is being aged up to 18.
- Doran’s personal bodyguard will appear throughout the season, assisting the prince with his duties. The show is particularly looking for a black actor to fill the role.
The show is also casting for the “Sand Snakes” – i.e. Oberyn’s bastard daughters.
- The eldest and most athletic Sand Snake will be having a major fight scene with a series regular character — not one who crosses her path in the books. This is an interesting change.
- Nymeria is described as ‘mixed race,’ with her father being the fairer (Oberyn) and her mother being darker skinned. The second oldest of these Sand Snakes, she’s beautiful, emotional and very strong.
- The youngest of the Sand Snakes that we meet uses her wits and seductive powers and is less of a physical fighter than the other Sand Snakes. She is just as deadly as her sisters, however, but her weapon is poison.
The rest of Westeros and Essos are also getting some new faces including,
- The books’ pious head of a religious movement will be appearing in several episodes in season 5.
- The show is looking for a character actress to play the imposing and unrelenting septa who spends a lot of time with a major series character next year.
Maggy the Frog
- A fortune teller in “A Feast for Crows” she’ll be in one episode next year.
- In ‘Mockingbird,’ Bronn announced his intention to marry Lollys, whom Tyrion considers ‘dimwitted.’ It looks like the sellsword will still be around next year.
- A sleazy Meereenese slave owner.
- The strange child from the books that Arya encounters will likely be played by an older actress, one in her later teens, and we understand the show is specifically looking for a woman of East Asian descent for the part.