In preparation for the upcoming fifth season of HBO’s “Game of Thrones,” the network is releasing a behind the scenes documentary for fans. The documentary is titled Game of Thrones: A Day in the Life and it will take viewers to various filming locations that are used in the show such as Belfast, Ireland Dubrovnik, Croatia and more of the Seven Kingdoms.
Season 5 will take viewers even further into Westeros as they venture into Dorne for the first time. The documentary will explore the location the show used as a backdrop for Dorne, one of the nine regions of the Seven Kingdoms.
Game of Thrones: A Day in the Life will air Feb. 8 at 7:30 p.m. EST on HBO. The trailer can be seen below.
Last week at the San Diego Comic-Con 2014 event, HBO took the opportunity to announce the new cast members for the next season of “Game of Thrones.” Most notably is that we will see a majority of the House Martell and the Sand Snakes.
- Alexander Siddig – Doran Martell
- The ruling lord of Dorne and older brother to the late Prince Oberyn Martell.
- Toby Sebastian – Trystane Martell
- Prince Doran’s son and heir to Dorne. Betrothed to Myrcella Baratheon.
- Nell Tiger Free (recast) – Myrcella Baratheon.
- Jessica Henwick – Nymeria (“Nym”) Sand
- The second eldest of the late Prince Oberyn’s bastard daughters
- Rosabell Laurenti Sellers – Tyene Sand
- The daughter of the late Prince Oberyn Martell by Ellaria Sand.
- Keisha Castle-Hughes – Obara Sand
- The eldest bastard daughter of the late Prince Oberyn Martell.
- DeObia Oparei – Areo Hotah
- The long-serving captain of Doran Martell’s palace guard, renowned for his loyalty and his elongate.
- Enzo Cilenti – Yezzan
- An extremely wealthy slave trader before Daenerys outlawed the slave trade.
- Jonathan Pryce – High Sparrow
- A devout and pious man, the High Sparrow came to King’s Landing to serve those forgotten by much of the world – the poor, the downtrodden and the infirm.
Season 5 of “Game of Thrones” will premiere in 2015 around the month of April. Series author, George R.R. Martin has revealed that he is not going to write an episode in the fifth season as he has done in previously seasons.
While it seems like every new season (and every new book for that matter) of “Game of Thrones” sees dozens and dozens of new characters added, next year’s season 5 will get a whole new region , along with its inhabitants, added to the cast.
Warning: there are some various potential spoilers for non-book readers below.
According to WinterisComing.net (and leaks from their undisclosed source), we know that the following characters from the books are currently looking for casting.
Prince Doran Martell
- Doran is described as the major new player this year, appearing in multiple episodes. The fiftysomething prince uses a wheelchair, is reclusive and rules wisely. It appears the show is looking to continue the trend it started with Pedro Pascal, and cast Latino actors for the Martell clan.
Prince Trystane Martell
- Trystane, the handsome fiance of Princess Myrcella, is being aged up to 18.
- Doran’s personal bodyguard will appear throughout the season, assisting the prince with his duties. The show is particularly looking for a black actor to fill the role.
The show is also casting for the “Sand Snakes” – i.e. Oberyn’s bastard daughters.
- The eldest and most athletic Sand Snake will be having a major fight scene with a series regular character — not one who crosses her path in the books. This is an interesting change.
- Nymeria is described as ‘mixed race,’ with her father being the fairer (Oberyn) and her mother being darker skinned. The second oldest of these Sand Snakes, she’s beautiful, emotional and very strong.
- The youngest of the Sand Snakes that we meet uses her wits and seductive powers and is less of a physical fighter than the other Sand Snakes. She is just as deadly as her sisters, however, but her weapon is poison.
The rest of Westeros and Essos are also getting some new faces including,
- The books’ pious head of a religious movement will be appearing in several episodes in season 5.
- The show is looking for a character actress to play the imposing and unrelenting septa who spends a lot of time with a major series character next year.
Maggy the Frog
- A fortune teller in “A Feast for Crows” she’ll be in one episode next year.
- In ‘Mockingbird,’ Bronn announced his intention to marry Lollys, whom Tyrion considers ‘dimwitted.’ It looks like the sellsword will still be around next year.
- A sleazy Meereenese slave owner.
- The strange child from the books that Arya encounters will likely be played by an older actress, one in her later teens, and we understand the show is specifically looking for a woman of East Asian descent for the part.