- Neil Gaiman’s Likely Stories HeadingTo The Small ScreenPosted 1 year ago
- 2015 – The Year of Book to Movie AdaptationsPosted 1 year ago
- Watch the First Trailer for Captain America: Civil War!Posted 1 year ago
Special Features for Batman: The Killing Joke Blu-ray Revealed
“Batman: The Killing Joke” is almost here and in the mean time, Warner Bros. Animation and DC Entertainment have revealed all the details on the special features for the upcoming Blu-ray release. “Batman: The Killing Joke” will be released on DVD and Blu-ray on August 2. You can pre-order your own copy by clicking here. However, if you can’t wait for the physical release, the film will be available on Digital HD July 23.
The animated adaptation is based on the graphic novel written by Alan Moore and drawn by Brian Bolland which was published in 1988 and is widely considered to be one of the best comic book stories of all time. It follows the tale of The Joker’s origin story – from his humble beginnings as a struggling comic, to his fateful encounter with Batman that changes both of their lives forever. In the tale we watch helplessly as The Joker terrorizes Commissioner Jim Gordon and ultimate paralyzes his daughter, Barbara Gordon. Although the story was not originally supposed to take place in the regular DC Comics continuity, the graphic novel wound up setting in motion the events that would lead to Barbara Gordon becoming Oracle.
Actors Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill reprise their “Batman: The Animated Series” roles as Batman and The Joker, respectively.
The Blu-Ray release of the animated film will include:
- An exclusive sneak peek at the next DC Universe Original Movie
- Featurette – Batman: The Killing Joke – Madness Set To Music – Jim Gordon must bear witness to the most disturbing images any father could imagine while a maniac entices his break from sanity in song. This documentary looks at the step-by-process of one of the most crucial scenes in Batman: The Killing Joke, including the methodology James Tucker used as he storyboarded Brian Bolland’s stunning work for the screen; Dynamic Music Partners composers/lyricists’ creative merging of original music with the poetic words from the graphic novel to provoke the desired feelings and emotions for this critical scene; and actor Mark Hamill’s physical, devoted performance to capturing the world¹s most notorious Super-Villain in song.
- Featurette – Many Shades of Joker: The Tale of The Killing Joke – Brian Bolland’s artwork is instantly recognizable to comic book enthusiasts all over the world. Known for his amazing cover art, it was a rare inclusion into the body of a graphic novel, Batman: The Killing Joke, that helped the perennial story of Batman and The Joker remain a fan favorite for decades to come. Combined with the graphic novel’s original script – which is more than just the telling of a story, but an intricate map explaining every stop along the way to the end of a fantastic journey – this documentary reveals the artistic process behind The Killing Joke’s distinct style. We’ll learn how artists and writers excelled at conveying story and human emotion one panel at a time, mesmerizing readers with unforgettable stories and humanized depictions of heroes and villains. And why after nearly 30 years in print, Batman: The Killing Joke is more thought provoking than ever, as its socio-economic themes are relatable to generation after generation.
- From the DC Comics Vault – Two 22-minute episodes:
- The New Batman Adventures – “Old Wounds”
- Batman: The Animated Series – “Christmas with The Joker”
“Batman: The Killing Joke” is rated R, an indication that the animated film will be sticking to the graphic novel’s violent, controversial story. This makes the film the first non-PG/PG-13 rated movie in the nine-year history of the DC Universe Original Movie franchise.
You can watch the trailer below: