As of May 2nd, Walt Disney Pictures and Marvel Studios announced that Marvel’s the Avengers had already grossed $260.5 million before it opens in North America this Friday. Premiering in 39 foreign territories, the film earned $185.1 million in its first week.
The film is currently ranked number one in 25 different foreign territories. With these figures, it appears Marvel’s the Avengers will be the film to take the top U.S. spot from Think Like a Man, which is in its 16th week.
Marvel’s The Avengers is the superhero team up of a lifetime. When an unexpected enemy emerges that threatens global safety and security, Nick Fury, Director of the international peacekeeping agency known as SHIELD, finds himself in need of a team to pull the world back from the brink of disaster. Spanning the globe, a daring recruitment effort begins.
The highly anticipated film has an all star cast which includes:
- Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark / Iron Man:
- A self-described genius, billionaire, playboy and philanthropist with a mechanical suit of armor of his own invention.
- Chris Evans as Steve Rogers / Captain America:
- A World War II veteran who was enhanced to the peak of human physicality by an experimental serum.
- Mark Ruffalo as Dr. Bruce Banner / Hulk:
- A genius scientist who, because of exposure to gamma radiation, transforms into a monster when enraged or excited. Ruffalo was cast after negotiations between Marvel and Edward Norton broke down.
- Lou Ferrigno will voice the Hulk.
- Chris Hemsworth as Thor:
- The god of thunder based on the Norse deity of the same name. Hemsworth was cast as part of a multiple movie deal. Hemsworth stated that he was able to maintain the strength he built up for Thor by increasing his food intake, consisting of a number of chicken breasts, fish, steak and eggs a day.
- Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow:
- A highly trained spy working for the international peacekeeping organization, S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton / Hawkeye:
- A S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and master archer known in the comics as the “World’s Greatest Marksman”. Renner said it was a very physical role and that he trained physically and practiced archery as much as possible in preparation.
- Tom Hiddleston as Loki:
- Thor’s adoptive brother and nemesis based on the deity of the same name.
- Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury:
- The director of S.H.I.E.L.D., who was revealed in previous films to be coordinating the “Avenger Initiative”. Jackson was brought to the project with a deal containing an option to play the character in up to nine Marvel films.
- Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill:
- A S.H.I.E.L.D. agent who works closely with Jackson’s Nick Fury.
Joss Whedon (“Buffy The Vampire Slayer”, “Dollhouse” and “Firefly”) directed the film. Both Hemsworth and Whedon have another current top 10 film as well. Hemsworth acted and Whedon co-wrote Cabin in the Woods, currently ranked number 10 in the U.S. in its third week.
With the North American release happening tomorrow, they have released a brand new TV spot to entice you even more to see the film.