George Clooney recently made a splash with his work on Oscar favorite, The Descendants but he has already begun work on his next major project: a film about men who chase down stolen art from World War II.
Clooney is about to start work writing, directing and starring in his big-budget adaptation of the book “The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History,” by Robert M. Edsel.
He told TheWrap that he is co-writing the production with his producing partner Grant Heslov. Along with co-writing the film, Clooney will also direct and star in the movie which is being worked on at Sony.
The film will tell the tale of the group of hand-picked art experts chosen by the U.S. Government to retrieve the famous artwork that had been stolen by the Nazis. It also reveals the truth about Hitler systematically emptying the museums and private collections of Europe during World War Two.
The book focuses on the special force of American and British museum directors, curators, art historians — who are referred to as “The Monuments Men” who risked their lives scouring Europe to prevent the destruction of this culture.
“I’m excited about it,” Clooney told TheWrap at the Palm Springs Film Festival on Saturday. “It’s a fun move because it could be big entertainment. It’s a big budget, you can’t do it small — it’s landing in Normandy.”
There is no word yet on any other actors for the film, although Clooney says there will be several big roles for actors.