In a film where so many superhero story lines culminate into one amazing battle, it is no surprise that the Blu-Ray collection will have to be equally spectacular. It was announced that Marvel’s The Avengers, which is still number two at the box office, will be released on DVD and Blu-ray later this year and with it comes a worthy collector’s edition.
There is no official release date yet, but Amazon is advertising a related product. A Blu-Ray collection titled Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One- Avengers Assembled will be a 10-disc set.
The tentative list of content is as follows:
- Marvel’s The Avengers (Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray)
- Captain America: The First Avenger (Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray)
- Thor (Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray)
- Iron Man 2 (Blu-ray)
- The Incredible Hulk (Blu-ray)
- Iron Man (Blu-ray)
- Bonus Disc- The Phase One Archives (Blu-ray)
- Collectible packaging with exclusive memorabilia from the Marvel Cinematic Universe
The list also includes the below image, which suggests the set’s design was inspired by the briefcase Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury uses to transport the Cosmic Cube.
The set is scheduled to be revealed July 15 and you can currently pre-order the collection for $153.00.
Marvel’s The Avengers is the superhero team up of a lifetime. When an unexpected enemy emerges that threatens global safety and security, Nick Fury, Director of the international peacekeeping agency known as SHIELD, finds himself in need of a team to pull the world back from the brink of disaster. Spanning the globe, a daring recruitment effort begins.
This new film is being directed by the (incredibly amazing) Joss Whedon and and sports an all star cast. It includes:
- Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark / Iron Man:
- A self-described genius, billionaire, playboy and philanthropist with a mechanical suit of armor of his own invention.
- Chris Evans as Steve Rogers / Captain America:
- A World War II veteran who was enhanced to the peak of human physicality by an experimental serum.
- Mark Ruffalo as Dr. Bruce Banner / Hulk:
- A genius scientist who, because of exposure to gamma radiation, transforms into a monster when enraged or excited. Ruffalo was cast after negotiations between Marvel and Edward Norton broke down.
- Lou Ferrigno will voice the Hulk.
- Chris Hemsworth as Thor:
- The god of thunder based on the Norse deity of the same name. Hemsworth was cast as part of a multiple movie deal. Hemsworth stated that he was able to maintain the strength he built up for Thor by increasing his food intake, consisting of a number of chicken breasts, fish, steak and eggs a day.
- Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow:
- A highly trained spy working for the international peacekeeping organization, S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton / Hawkeye:
- A S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and master archer known in the comics as the “World’s Greatest Marksman”. Renner said it was a very physical role and that he trained physically and practiced archery as much as possible in preparation.
- Tom Hiddleston as Loki:
- Thor’s adoptive brother and nemesis based on the deity of the same name.
- Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury:
- The director of S.H.I.E.L.D., who was revealed in previous films to be coordinating the “Avenger Initiative”. Jackson was brought to the project with a deal containing an option to play the character in up to nine Marvel films.
- Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill:
- A S.H.I.E.L.D. agent who works closely with Jackson’s Nick Fury.