Have you been yearning to see Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway in the new adaptation on Les Miserables? Probably not, but it is still pretty cool. Universal Pictures recently debuted the first trailer for the Tom Hooper directed project which you can see below.
Based on the novel by Victor Hugo and that globally renowned stage show, the story of Jean Valjean has been seen by more than 60 million people in over 40 countries while being presented in over 20 languages.
Set against the backdrop of 19th-century France, the film tells an enthralling story of broken dreams and unrequited love, passion, sacrifice and redemption–a timeless testament to the survival of the human spirit. Jackman plays ex-prisoner Jean Valjean, hunted for decades by the ruthless policeman Javert (Crowe) after he breaks parole. When Valjean agrees to care for factory worker Fantine’s (Hathaway) young daughter, Cosette, their lives change forever. It begins in 1815 and culminates in 1832 during the June Rebellion.
Les Miserables was published in 1862 by Hugo and has remained widely considered one of the greatest novels of the nineteenth century. The novel and story are considered a “historical fiction” because it contains both a real setting and factual/historical events while containing fictional aspects.
You can see the brand new trailer below:
The cast of the upcoming adaptation is pretty lengthy with more than several main and supporting cast members. It includes:
- Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean, a Frenchman released from Toulon prison after 19 years of imprisonment for stealing bread and failed attempts for escaping from the prison.
- Russell Crowe as Inspector Javert, a police inspector who releases Valjean on parole, then later dedicates his life to imprisoning him again.
- Anne Hathaway as Fantine, a struggling factory worker and mother of her illegitimate child, Cosette. She is eventually forced to turn to prostitution.
- Amanda Seyfried as Cosette, the illegitimate daughter of Fantine who has grown into a beautiful teenager under Valjean’s care and falls in love with Marius.
- Isabelle Allen plays the younger version of Cosette.
- Eddie Redmayne as Marius Pontmercy, a student revolutionary who is friends with the Thenardiers’ daughter, Éponine, but falls in love with Cosette.
- Samantha Barks as Éponine, the destitute daughter of the Thénardiers who is friends with and secretly pines for Marius
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Thénardier, a common thief who is also an innkeeper. He is also the father of Éponine.
- Helena Bonham Carter as Madame Thénardier, the unscrupulous Innkeeper’s wife who, along with her husband, houses and abuses Cosette until Valjean “buys” her from them after Fantine’s death. She is also the mother of Éponine.
- Aaron Tveit as Enjolras, the leader of a student revolt and a friend of Marius.
- Daniel Huttlestone as Gavroche, a streetwise urchin who helps the revolutionaries. He is the abandoned son of the Thénardiers.